Sunday, July 26, 2009

Maher and American Profits

I enjoy reading Bill Maher's blogs, which are found on "The Huffington Post" website. I feel like you can get some good knowledge about current politcs, and also finish reading with a laugh. It's exciting and fun, but I do believe it does sometimes get a little rough and ugly. In this particular article, "New Rule: Not Everything in America has to Make a Profit," he discusses how the United States have turned many things that previously were made or done for enjoyment, into another business and another way to charge civilians.
Despite the humor and the realization about how selfish America is about money at some points, I also got the sense that Maher was a bit bitter. As time goes by, things are going to start costing more and more money to do, and businesses will need to charge to keep up with new technology and will need to make a profit in order to be able to have living costs. He talks about how hospitals and other health care businesses have been combined into associations where they make money. I do understand the frustration with some health care associations. Many people need help, and can not get it because of the money issues. But, he also makes another point regarding insurance, and I also agree with the statement, "insurance companies hire people to figure out ways to deny you coverage." One of my friends was recently telling me how her mom, who is a realtor had a client who ended up with a major flood in their house and the insurance agency decided it was not important to cover and ended up going to court to fight with them. I can assure you they got their coverage and found a new insurance agency.
Although their are many statements Maher makes that I raise an eyebrow out, or think he semi-exaggerates, "The bill was $1.50, plus you got to keep the thermometer." I think his blogs are fun and entertaining.

No comments: