Monday, July 20, 2009

Walmart to Neiman Marcus?

The article by Paul Craig Roberts, says many things regarding the economy that I agree with. I do believe that the state of our economy is still on the downfall, and although people think that we have hit the low part already, I believe we are still on the way down, and the bottom of the economic growth cycle will hit. We have been through many situations in the United States history that has dealt with depressions, and have always been able to recover out of them. Now, we are so in debt that, "half of every dollar the federal government spends must be borrowed or printed." I find this a tad bit rediculous, and believe that the government is not doing enough to help situations. Now, personally I know with new budget plans, and other ways of solving economic crisis' comes lots of loose ends, with certain people being forced to pay more taxes, or an increase in money production, which would lead to inflation. If only there was a way to magically come out of this situation...
Since there is not, something desperately needs to be figured out. This article pretty much says my opinion exactly. That, the worst is yet to come, and since we are almost positive of this, the government needs to start working hard to figure out how to not have every house in America ending in a foreclosure. I do agree with the article that many people who are not currently unemployed are holding their breaths, just waiting for a call saying, "we have to let you go." You would think that the government would be working hard to secure jobs, because with unemployment rates hitting all time highs, inflation will begin to rapidly occur. I found the humor in the article when Robert says, "Wal-Mart prices will look like Nieman Marcus prices." I also find this to be sickening, and if a store like Wal-Mart that is supposed to appeal to all of America suddenly shoots up the prices, it will prove the end of a steady economy.
Nothing makes me more nervous then having to begin to think about a career, and it's such a shame that the thought of if you will be able to get a certain job with a specific major is a thought in almost every college student's head. When you are unable to do something you love because of the lack of job opportunites, I find that sad. I do think that the government is trying, but I do agree with Roberts in the fact that a new addition to the war is not needed, and a focus in economic resolution is needed more then an expanded war.
Roberts himself worked as the Assistant Secretary of Treasury during the years Reagan was president, so he has a lot of knowledge regading the money situations and the United States. I definitley agree with almost all of his ideas, and it also makes me a little more frustrated at the United States government and their lack of a substantial plan in economic reform.

No comments: